Cheerleading Company posted a blog that is intended to be viewed by two specific groups of people. First the cheerleaders, and second their parents. This is due to the topic being cheerleading, as well as it promotes interest in the sport to both the athletes as well as their number one supporters. Cheerleading isn't a common sport, so any advertising for it is typically positive and advocating the benefits it can bring to the students. The authors appeal to their readers by presenting a colorful and easy to access site. It's organized, and posts about topics that can be helpful to both the athletes and their parental figures. They don't use overly complicated terminology and make it simple and easy to understand and read, even for those who aren't involved in cheerleading.

      This subject is very difficult to write about as it's easy to allow opinions to take over in replace of facts. This gives clouded and biased feedback. Cheerleading is also commonly misunderstood. People who aren't ever involved with it don't fully understand any work going into it and the variety of cheerleading styles there are. Any cheerleading blogs I found all seemed to lean toward supporting cheerleading as a sport, however they were all posted by cheerleaders or someone directly and personally connected to the athletes.

      I first started cheerleading in the end of 7th grade, starting officially in the following summer. I was experienced in tumbling, but couldn't dance or jump or count to save my life. I only went to tryouts because my sister was on the team for a year and the coach already knew me. I was like the majority of people, I stereotyped cheerleaders and judged them, not fully understanding what work they do and what I would gain from the experiences I'd receive.

      As stated before, cheerleading only began to be important to me because it was something I could talk about with my sister in the beginning. My sister said that she enjoyed it for the most part, so I decided to try it out. Cheer quickly became a passion of mine, and I've loved it from the beginning. The most distinctly different views for cheerleading are stereotyping girls/boys, and the debate of whether it should be considered a sport or not. Most people think that cheerleaders just do thy stands and wave pom poms while saying stuff like "wooo" or "yay!" Although we do have poms, we throw hundred pound girls in the air, they do something crazy, then they catch her safely. Then we learn and perfect doing crazy standing flips or running and doing lots of other flips. All without safety padding, helmets, etc. We practice early in the mornings and late at night, and attend almost every event so that the crowd doesn't get bored watching slow games. I think that people who don't fully understand something shouldn't give input on it.

http://blog.cheerleading.com/2017/01/motiv-8-eight-ways-to-motivate-your-team-this-competition-season/

Comments

  1. Wow this was really great to read because I had no idea how much work really went into cheerleading. I come from a small school where we did not have a cheer team for a long time so it was crazy to realize how hard you guys work for routines and to do your stunts. It seems just as hard as any sport a guy could do and if not hard for the amount of coordination that it requires in certain parts of the sport.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts